Dog Bite Lawyer in Hialeah
A dog bite can be a traumatic event that results in serious injuries. Dog attacks and dog bites cause numerous injuries and even deaths every year. These injuries can result in permanent scarring, nerve damage, and infections. Psychological injuries can last even after the physical injury heals.
In Hialeah, dog bite victims can seek legal action to recover compensation for medical bills, future medical treatment, lost income, pain and suffering, and even emotional trauma. To receive the compensation that you are owed, it is greatly beneficial to partner with a dog bite injury attorney from Schlacter Law who is experienced in personal injury cases and can help you navigate the law. A lawyer can help you determine how much your case is worth and seek the compensation that you are owed.
What to do if Bitten by a Dog
Many dog bites and animal attacks require medical attention, but thousands go untreated and without compensation for the victim’s pain and suffering. Children and the elderly are at the greatest risk of being bitten, and those with dogs in their homes are at a much greater risk of being bitten than homes without dogs. Dog bites account for 90% of animal bites in Hialeah.
If you are the victim of a dog attack, here are the steps you should take.
- Immediately wash the wound with warm water and soap
- Contact your doctor immediately for additional care. Call an ambulance or go to the emergency room if you are in extreme distress
- Report the attack to your local Animal Control agency. Be as detailed as possible in your report and include what the dog looked like and where the attack occurred. Also report the name and address of the dog owner if you know it
- Contact a dog bite accident lawyer to protect your legal rights. Your lawyer can help you determine liability and seek compensation
Often the media makes claims that certain breeds of dogs are more likely to bite people than others, but this is not backed by scientific proof. No matter the size of the dog or the breed of dog, a dog bite can inflict a serious injury. Certain breeds, however, are more likely to cause a more serious injury when they bite due to their size. All dogbites can result in serious infections.
Determining Dog Bite Liability and Negligence in Hialeah
In Hialeah, liability laws are clear when it comes to dog bites and other animal attacks. Florida is a “strict liability” state when dealing with Dog Bites, meaning that the dog owner can be held liable even if the owner had no prior knowledge or warning that the dog might bite. Having a strict liability law in place makes it easier to predict a winning case as the dog bite victim will have a simpler time proving liability.
If a dog bites a person in a public place in Hialeah, the dog owner is responsible. If a dog bites a person in a private place, the dog owner is liable if the bite victim is lawfully present, even if the injury occurs on the property of the dog owner. This means that the dog owner is liable for any damages incurred by the bite victim unless the victim was trespassing. In Hialeah and in the greater state of Florida, this liability is imposed regardless of previous displays of viciousness by the dog in question because of the strict liability statute in place. If you believe you may have a case, contact a dog attack lawyer from Schlacter law to determine if you are eligible for compensation.
In Hialeah, the most common injuries resulting from dog bites include:
- Severe pain at the bite area
- Puncture wounds
- Broken bones
- Pain and suffering
Personal Injury Case
If you or a loved one have been bitten by a dog in Hialeah, a dog injury lawyer can help you pursue a personal injury case. A dog bite accident attorney will be able to calculate the estimated value of your claim. In order to make a settlement estimate, your lawyer will look at a variety of factors. Your lawyer can seek full compensation for:
- Incurred medical expenses, past and future
- Lost wages and loss of future earning ability
- Rehabilitation including counseling and therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Other losses resulting from the accident, both financial and non-financial
Every dog bite case is different. A personal injury settlement from a dog bite is based on what the parties estimate that a jury would award the victim and whether the dog owner will be found liable. If the injury occurred in Hialeah, it will be relatively easy to determine the liability of the dog owner because of the strict dog bite statute in place.
Determining the degree of liability of the dog owner and the victim’s losses due to the dog bite in Hialeah can be difficult to estimate and have a large impact on compensation. While some damages such as medical bills and lost wages are easy to calculate, others are more subjective, such as “pain and suffering.” For example, a dog bite resulting in puncture wounds but no other complications might receive less in pain and suffering damages. A young child with facial scarring may be much higher. However, in cases where there are more serious injuries, a monetary value can be difficult to pin down and more complicated. This is when it is extremely advantageous to have a dog bite injury lawyer on your side. Your lawyer can put a different value on the case and make a higher settlement more likely.
Hialeah and the state of Florida have a statute of limitations that limits the amount of time a bite victim has to file a lawsuit after the injury. You have four years from the date of the dog bite to file the lawsuit. To ensure that your case is heard and you receive the highest settlement possible for your injuries, you should work with a personal injury lawyer with experience handling dog bites and animal attacks. Schacter Law has a proven track record of being awarded high values on dog bite cases.
Dog owners have a duty to protect others from any hard that might be caused by their dog. In Hialeah, this includes family, guests, and workers on their property, and people in public places. An experienced dog bite lawyer will be able to walk you through the process of moving forward with a personal injury case and will be able to help you secure the compensation you are owed for your injury. Schlacter Law has a history of successful lawsuits in Hialeah and has secured compensation for dog bite victims to pay for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. If you’ve been injured by a dog, contact an experienced dog bite lawyer at Schlacter Law today.
How We Handle Cases
- Your attorney will aggressively investigate your case. Schlacter Law will compile all necessary evidence needed to maximize the value of your case. Which includes but is not limited to photographs, police reports, security camera footage, witness statements, medical bills and medical records.
- You will remain in constant contact with Schlacter Law about the progression of your case.
- Your attorney will present your case to the insurance company and will attempt to resolve your case before the case goes to court for maximum compensation.
- Your attorney will make every effort possible to resolve the case as quickly as possible for the most amount of money you may be entitled to. You will be actively involved in the negotiation process with your attorney. Schlacter Law understands that this is your one opportunity to get justice for your loss.
- If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, Schlacter Law will be fully prepared to bring your case to court to fight for the justice you deserve.
- At no cost to you, Schlacter Law will hire any experts and professionals needed to maximize your recovery and present your case in the strongest form possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much money will I receive in reimbursement?
Just as no two dog bites are the same, no two personal injury cases are the same. Your lawyer for the dog attack will look at several different factors to determine how much the case is worth. In Hialeah, many lawyers for dog bites offer free assessments so they can learn about your specific situation and give you an idea of what you might expect.
Factors like expenses incurred because of your injury, future costs you might face, and more determine what payment accurately reflects your damages. In order to get a solid understanding, you should speak with an animal attack lawyer who will be able to help you have a good idea of what you should be expecting in compensation.
What should I do if my loved one was killed in a dog attack?
In Hialeah, if one of your loved ones was killed in a dog attack, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the dog’s owner. Contact a lawyer to help you learn about this process. While no amount of money can replace a loved one, compensation can help ease the stress of the situation and provide resources throughout the grieving process. A lawyer specializing in dog bites from a firm like Schlacter Law has years of experience dealing with unfortunate accidents resulting in deaths of loved ones. Schlacter Law is an aggressive yet compassionate law firm that will help you through the process.