Cruise Ship Accidents Lawyer
We do not expect to suffer personal injuries on vacation on a cruise ship. The truth of the matter is that many people do suffer serious and sometimes catastrophic personal injuries on cruise ships. Insurance companies may blame the guest for the accident, including blaming intoxication or not paying attention. However, this usually cannot be further from the truth. Many cruise ship accidents are caused by the reckless, careless, and downright negligent conduct of cruise ship staff. This includes a failure to keep the premises reasonably safe from slip and falls or other premises liability accidents. Other times, a cruise ship may be liable for negligent security when it fails to repair locks or doors which allow criminals to harm others.
At Schlacter Law, we know that cruise ship cases are not like regular personal injury actions. There are state, federal, and international maritime laws that may apply to your case. These laws create a complicated matrix of liability that victims need an experienced law firm to help them navigate through. We will not allow an insurance company or cruise ship line to hide behind these legal hurdles to block your claim. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, including $2,076,758, $1,625,0000, $825,000, $800,000, $790,000, and $775,000 in major personal injury accidents. We offer a FREE consultation, and, if we accept your case, we will aggressively pursue your case, which may include hiring industry-leading professionals and experts. There is no risk to ask for our help because we only get paid when we recover compensation for you. Call our award-winning law firm by dialing (305) 999-1111 or fill out a free case evaluation to discover what our cruise ship accident lawyer at Schlacter Law can do for you.
Types of Cruise Ship Injury Claims We Handle
We will handle any cruise ship injury claim where a person has been seriously injured or catastrophically harmed due to the negligence of a cruise ship operator, employee, contractor, or other agents. Included in this is the negligence if the cruise ship failed to repair locks or doors on your room and you were assaulted by another guest. Some of the types of cases that our cruise ship attorney could handle include the following:
- Slips and falls or trips and falls
- Falling object accidents from one deck to another
- Criminal assaults, rapes, or other attacks
- Docking accidents
- Pool and waterslide accidents
- Onboard fires or burns from explosions, fireworks, or displays
- Falling overboard
- Food poisoning
- Norovirus infections or other illnesses from poor sanitation
- Injuries from recreational activities on excursions or on the boat
- Medical malpractice by onboard doctors or nursing staff
- Other causes of personal injuries due to the negligence of a cruise ship line
Negligent Security on Cruise Ships
Cruise ships not only have a duty to keep the premises reasonably safe, but they also have a duty to keep guests reasonably safe from criminal activity. This means keeping guests safe from assaults, sexual assaults like rape, and theft. Cruise ships, therefore, have an obligation to do the following:
- Monitor activities, excursions, and events on the ship including bars, casinos, clubs, and other areas where sexual assaults could occur
- Install security cameras to monitor heavy traffic areas or areas where people could be attacked
- Diffuse arguments between guests before they escalate into fights, including using bouncers or security to separate guests
- Run background checks on their employees
- Keep public areas well-lit
- Employ an adequate security force based on the number of passengers
- Repair broken locks, doors, windows, and other means of ingress or egress
- Other security measures that are reasonable under the circumstances
Hurt on a Cruise Ship? There is No Cost to Get Help from Schlacter Law Today
Here at Schlacter Law, we do not charge victims of cruise ship accidents any money upfront to start handling their case. Victims of cruise ship accidents will only pay once we recover compensation for them in a settlement or award. It is important to get a cruise ship lawyer because cruise ship lines and insurance companies know that this is a confusing combination of state, federal, and international maritime law and may try to trick you into accepting less compensation than you deserve. Don’t let this happen.
If you suffered personal injuries due to the negligence of another on a cruise ship, call our cruise ship accident lawyer at Schlacter Law for a FREE consultation to learn what your case may be worth and how we can start protecting your rights to compensation today.
How We Handle Cases
- Your attorney will aggressively investigate your case. Schlacter Law will compile all necessary evidence needed to maximize the value of your case. Which includes but is not limited to photographs, police reports, security camera footage, witness statements, medical bills and medical records.
- You will remain in constant contact with Schlacter Law about the progression of your case.
- Your attorney will present your case to the insurance company and will attempt to resolve your case before the case goes to court for maximum compensation.
- Your attorney will make every effort possible to resolve the case as quickly as possible for the most amount of money you may be entitled to. You will be actively involved in the negotiation process with your attorney. Schlacter Law understands that this is your one opportunity to get justice for your loss.
- If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, Schlacter Law will be fully prepared to bring your case to court to fight for the justice you deserve.
- At no cost to you, Schlacter Law will hire any experts and professionals needed to maximize your recovery and present your case in the strongest form possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Generally, one year from the date of the accident. However, there are some exceptions to this rule which may shrink the time period or extend it. This is particularly true in international waters or in other jurisdictions. After any cruise ship accident, immediately consult with counsel to protect your rights. There are also notice requirements shorter than one year in most cruise ship cases which are contained on your cruise ship ticket. Do not let your case sink for failure to follow the time restrictions.
The cruise ship owner, captain, maintenance team, cleaning employees, chef/kitchen staff, independent contractors, entertainment guests, or other individuals in control of or in possession of the cruise ship you are on. If another guest causes your injuries due to negligence or intentional torts like assault and battery or rape, you may have a claim against both the cruise ship and that individual. Always consult with our cruise ship accident lawyers to learn who may be at fault for your injuries.
If you believe you may have caused your cruise ship accident injuries you may still be able to collect compensation for your damages. This is because Florida is a comparative fault state which means that the partial fault of a victim reduces his or her award but does not prevent an award. Therefore, if you recover $100,000 but were 20% at fault for an accident such as slipping and falling on the deck, your award may be reduced to $80,000. Never estimate your comparative fault and always ask a cruise ship accident lawyer to review your case. There may be other local, maritime, state and federal laws that apply different comparative fault principals as well. That is why it is important speaking with a cruise ship lawyer like Schlacter law.