Trip & Falls
A trip and fall accident could cause serious personal injuries. While it may be natural to blame yourself for a trip and fall, the truth is many trip and falls are due to negligent maintenance and repairs done by property owners. Most insurance companies know this and will prey on victims who blame themselves even though a property owner failed to keep his or her property in reasonable condition. Do not let this happen to you.
At Schlacter Law, we know that people do not just trip and fall for no reason. Many times, property owners fail to adequately maintain their floors, stairwells, and other areas. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients in just trip and fall accident cases alone. We pride ourselves in being able to navigate what could be a complex liability issue when there are multiple owners, property managers, and other entities who may have caused or contributed to your trip and fall accident. We offer a FREE consultation and strategy session, and, if we accept your case, we may use experts to help prove your damages and demonstrate liability against a property owner. We only get paid when we recover compensation for you. Call our award-winning team by dialing (305) 999-1111 or fill out a free case evaluation to discover what our trip and fall accident lawyer at Schlacter Law can do for you and what your case is worth.
What to Do After a Trip and Fall Accident
If you have been seriously injured in a trip and fall accident, there are certain steps that you may be able to take to help protect your claim before you can get to our law firm.
- Call 911 for help. You want to not only call for medical help, but you also want police to come and do an official report. They can help conduct an investigation and issue findings. You will also get faster medical attention if you call for help yourself rather than rely on a store clerk or property manager.
- Notify an employee and get an incident report. Maybe your injuries do not seem as bad and you do not want to call 911. We think that is a mistake and you should still get official help. If you decide not to, or even after you get the police to come, you will want to make sure a store employee knows what happened. You will want them to create an incident report to submit to their risk manager. This forces them to acknowledge your injuries on their property, as well as to get important information about who to file a claim with.
- Seek medical attention. If a trip and fall caused any type of injury, you need to get it documented and treated. Some types of injuries only cause minor aches initially but can end up requiring surgery later on. Always get medical treatment when you are even slightly injured.
- Take photographs if you can. If you are physically able to take photographs, take as many photographs of the scene as you can. Make sure to get photographs of the object or substance you tripped on, both with your flash on and without your flash on, to demonstrate how dark and possibly concealed the object or substance was. Take photographs of your injuries and also your clothing, including your shoes, that may depict water, substances, or damage from the trip and fall.
- Identify any possible witnesses. Investigate whether anyone saw your trip and fall and, if they did, get their information as a witness. Make sure the store and police also obtain the witness information.
- Get to a trip and fall attorney. The claims process can be very difficult and complex, especially if there were property managers, contractors, owners, tenants, and other individuals or entities who may be responsible for your trip and fall. Even a little mistake during the insurance claim process could affect the compensation to which you may be entitled. Here at Schlacter Law, our trip and fall accident attorney does not cost any more upfront. To maximize the value of the case, a trip and fall lawyer usually looks for:
- Photographs of the floor and dangerous condition
- Surveillance footage
- Accident reports or evidence proving you were on the premises
- Evidence of prior trip and fall accidents
Time is Ticking, Get Schlacter Law on Your Side
Victims of a trip and fall accident in Florida only have four years to commence an action. Sometimes that time period could be less if the negligent party is a state agency or if a victim has died due to his or her injuries. Insurance companies know these deadlines and will give you the wrong information or delay your claim until it is too late. That is unacceptable. Do not let that happen when you can hire a lawyer at no upfront cost.
At Schlacter Law, our experienced trip and fall accident attorney knows how important it is to fight back aggressively against insurance companies that will try to blame the victim. Our well-trained and award-winning law firm knows how to build up your claim for compensation while strengthening your case on liability. Schlacter Law typically charges the industry rate of 33.33% before litigation, which you only have to pay when we collect money for you.
If you were injured in a trip and fall accident or if a loved one was wrongfully killed, call our trip and fall accident lawyer at Schlacter Law for a FREE and strategy session consultation to learn what your case may be worth and how we can start protecting your rights to compensation today.
How We Handle Cases
- Your attorney will aggressively investigate your case. Schlacter Law will compile all necessary evidence needed to maximize the value of your case. Which includes but is not limited to photographs, police reports, security camera footage, witness statements, medical bills and medical records.
- You will remain in constant contact with Schlacter Law about the progression of your case.
- Your attorney will present your case to the insurance company and will attempt to resolve your case before the case goes to court for maximum compensation.
- Your attorney will make every effort possible to resolve the case as quickly as possible for the most amount of money you may be entitled to. You will be actively involved in the negotiation process with your attorney. Schlacter Law understands that this is your one opportunity to get justice for your loss.
- If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, Schlacter Law will be fully prepared to bring your case to court to fight for the justice you deserve.
- At no cost to you, Schlacter Law will hire any experts and professionals needed to maximize your recovery and present your case in the strongest form possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, it is common to commence a slip and fall action against a property owner who has failed to comply with statutory law, building codes, or property maintenance codes. These codes must be followed by any property owner that the codes apply to. The failure to comply with these codes could be proven through the use of an engineer or other experts, as well as decisional law. These code violations can be used to prove negligence.
Yes, sometimes a building code is not violated but the common law standard of negligence is breached. This can occur when a property owner failed to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition by allowing conditions that are dangerous, hazardous, or otherwise harmful on their property.