Hurricane Damage Lawyer
Windstorms and hurricanes are powerful, dangerous, and destructive forces of nature. Homes, vehicles, businesses, boats, and other property could easily be damaged in a hurricane. The loss of these items could result in a significant and emotional toll on a person and his or her family. While hurricane insurance offers a backup plan, unfortunately sometimes the claim process is just as frightening and damaging as the storm.
At Schlacter Law, we think filing a hurricane damage insurance claim should be easy. We will not let victims of a hurricane suffer twice due to the conduct of an insurance company. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients against insurance companies. We offer a FREE consultation, and, if we accept your case, we will aggressively pursue your case, which may include hiring industry-leading professionals and experts to prove the damage done to your property. There is no risk to ask for our help because we only get paid when we recover compensation for you. Call our award-winning law firm by dialing (305) 999-1111 or fill out a free case evaluation to discover what our hurricane damage claim lawyer at Schlacter Law can do for you.
Steps to Take Before and After Hurricane Damage
Nothing can be more frightening than dealing with an impending hurricane or other damaging storms. Based on our years of experience, there are some steps that property owners can take before and after a hurricane to help protect their rights to a hurricane damage claim. These tips can help deflect some of the common tricks used by insurance companies to protect your rights.
Take Photographs Before a Storm Hits and of Your Preparation – The first steps a person can take before a hurricane hits is to take pictures of your property and the efforts you made to protect your property, such as boarding windows, using sandbags, and other attempts. Videos are even better. Make sure to document your most valuable items to ensure that your rights are protected.
Cover Up Damaged Property to Mitigate Your Damage – After a storm hits, immediately make sure to cover up and fix any damage. This includes preventing water intrusion with tarps and re-boarding windows.
Take Photographs After a Storm Hits – Immediately after the storm hits, take photographs of all damage, even areas that may not have extensive damage yet. Take photographs of your mitigation efforts such as re-boarding the windows and placing tarp down. This helps support your claim.
Document Your Loses – Make sure to document every room and the damage with both photographs and written statements. Do not throw out anything without having it photographed, written down, and put into an inventory. Ask the insurance company for permission to throw anything out and get this permission in writing.
Get Schlacter Law to Support Your Hurricane Damage Claim
Victims of windstorm and hurricane damage should ask our lawyer at Schlacter Law for help. We know that insurance companies will try to say that damage was preexisting, caused by water, or caused by your failure to mitigate. We will make sure your claims are strong and provable in court. Call our hurricane damage lawyer at Schlacter Law for a FREE consultation to learn what your case may be worth and how we can start protecting your rights to compensation today.
How We Handle Cases
- Your attorney will aggressively investigate your claim. Schlacter Law will compile all necessary evidence needed to maximize the value of your claim. Schlacter Law will also retain on your behalf experts to evaluate the scope of your claim. In other words, the experts will be retained to determine the cost of all of your necessary repairs. These experts may include but not be limited to professional adjusters, engineers, roofers, plumbers and general contractors.
- You will remain in constant contact with Schlacter Law about the progression of your claim.
- Your attorney will present your case to the insurance company and will attempt to resolve your case before the case goes to court for maximum compensation.
- Your attorney will make every effort possible to resolve the case as quickly as possible for the most amount of money you may be entitled to. You will be actively involved in the negotiation process with your attorney. Schlacter Law understands that this is your one opportunity to get justice for your loss.
- If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, Schlacter Law will be fully prepared to bring your case to court to fight for the justice you deserve.
- Schlacter Law will hire any experts and professionals needed to maximize your recovery and present your case in the strongest form possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Three years after the date of a windstorm or hurricane. However, most insurance policies require you to give notice of damage much quicker. It is imperative that as soon as you suffer any hurricane damage loss that you immediately notify your insurance company to start the claim process. Do not wait, ever. Many policies have exclusions that can bar your claims and may even use your delays against you in court.
What you recover depends on what policy and coverage you have. Generally, hurricane damage policies include:
- repair or replacement value of your home, business, garage, fence, decks, pools and other structures;
- replacement of the contents in your home, business, shed, or vehicle;
- cost of alternative living or work arrangements;
- removal of storm debris;
- other losses related to the hurricane.
Nothing upfront. In some instances where an insurance company improperly denies coverage or fails to honor a claim and you successfully challenge the insurance company in court, Florida law requires the insurance company to pay for your attorney’s fees. For help with claims, our compassionate law firm understands that one of your biggest investments, your home, is damaged.
While there are many good Public Adjusters that come into contact with homeowners after a hurricane we recommend contacting an attorney first. Not only can an attorney be less expensive but an attorney can immediately take an aggressive posture to eliminate the delay in the claims process. Only an attorney can take the insurance company to court and to fight for your full damages. Delay is very common after a storm because there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of claims. Absolutely do not speak with “loss consultants” who do not have a PA license and contact Schlacter Law for a free claim strategy session.