Hit and Run Accidents
A hit and run accident can be both confusing and frustrating for a victim. These feelings are particularly true if you have suffered serious personal injuries. Car accidents happen fast, and you may not have been able to identify the person driving or the vehicle that hit you. What is worse is that you might have significant personal injuries and property damage, as well as lost wages. When another driver who fled the scene of an accident that caused you injuries has upended your life, you need legal representation that can fight back.
At Schlacter Law, we represent victims and their families who have been wronged in hit and run accidents. Our hit and run lawyer knows how frustrating it can be to be injured due to the actions of others who run away from their legal obligations. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, including $1,625,0000, $825,000, $800,000, $790,000 and $775,000 in just car accident cases alone. We offer a FREE consultation and, if we accept your case, we will aggressively pursue your case, which may include hiring industry-leading professionals and experts. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Call our award-winning team by dialing (305) 999-1111 or fill out a free case evaluation to discover what our hit and run accident lawyer at Schlacter Law can do for you and how much your case can be worth. You can always speak with our lawyer.
Why Hit and Run Accidents are Different
A hit and run accident is not the same as a normal car accident. Hit and run accidents are challenging cases to handle because oftentimes the defendant is not immediately known. Due to the unknown factor, it can be unclear who to go to for your serious injuries and what insurance company to talk to. However, our trained and experienced legal team knows how to investigate and gather the evidence necessary to hold negligent motorists responsible.
Our process includes completing the following tasks for you:
- Gathering your medical records
- Speaking with police about their investigation
- Locating witnesses and interviewing them on what they saw
- Reviewing surveillance cameras and other recording devices to find the vehicle responsible
- Working with your insurance company to get your medical bills and expenses paid
- Bringing a claim or filing a lawsuit against the responsible driver and/or vehicle owner for your injuries.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident
If you have been involved in a hit and run accident, take these steps to protect yourself and document the incident:
- Stay at the scene of the accident and never chase the other driver. Not only is a chase reckless, but you do not know why the other driver is fleeing and following another driver could put your life in jeopardy. You may also have sustained an injury that makes operating a motor vehicle unsafe and dangerous.
- Call the police to report the accident. You need to document your accident and describe your injuries in the police report the best you can. Make sure to tell them everything you remember or observed about the other vehicle. This step is critical to supporting your insurance claim.
- Get medical attention. Get immediate medical treatment. Even minor aches could be the early signs of catastrophic injuries, including brain injuries or neck and back injuries.
- Take photographs of the damage to your vehicle and the accident scene. You will need to support your claim for both your injuries and liability (who is at fault). Photographs are the best method. If you can, take photographs or document details of the other vehicle before they flee for the best possible situation. If you can, obtain the license plate number.
- Hire an aggressive hit and run accident law firm such as Schlacter Law to hunt down the perpetrator and protect your rights to compensation.
What if You Cannot Identify the Other Driver?
If you have been hit by a driver who fled the scene and caused you or a loved one injuries, you may have questions about how to pay for your medical bills and car repairs. Even if you are unable to identify the other driver, you may have a claim for uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage is insurance under your own insurance policy which steps into the shoes of a driver who is uninsured or underinsured, including a hit and run driver who is never identified. These claims are challenging and should always be handled by an experienced car accident lawyer.
Fight Back with Schlacter Law
Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime. Despite this fact, far too many hit and run accidents still occur and leave victims without many options. The best option a victim always has is to call a hit and run lawyer, such as our lawyer at Schlacter Law. We take cases on a contingency basis, which means you only pay us if we win. There is no risk to ask us to investigate your claim in a hit and run case. If we accept your case, we will investigate to determine who caused your injuries and hold them accountable.
If you were injured in a hit and run car accident or if a loved one was wrongfully killed, call our hit and run accident lawyer at Schlacter Law for a FREE consultation and strategy session to learn what your case may be worth and how we can start protecting your rights to compensation today.
How We Handle Cases
- Your attorney will aggressively investigate your claim. Schlacter Law will compile all necessary evidence needed to maximize the value of your claim. Schlacter Law will also retain on your behalf experts to evaluate the scope of your claim. In other words, the experts will be retained to determine the cost of all of your necessary repairs. These experts may include but are not limited to professional adjusters, engineers, roofers, plumbers and general contractors.
- You will remain in constant contact with Schlacter Law about the progression of your claim.
- Your attorney will present your case to the insurance company and will attempt to resolve your case before the case goes to court for maximum compensation.
- Your attorney will make every effort possible to resolve the case as quickly as possible for the most amount of money you may be entitled to. You will be actively involved in the negotiation process with your attorney. Schlacter Law understands that this is your one opportunity to get justice for your loss.
- If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, Schlacter Law will be fully prepared to bring your case to court to fight for the justice you deserve.
- At no cost to you, Schlacter Law will hire any experts and professionals needed to maximize your recovery and present your case in the strongest form possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you believe that the defendant in your hit and run accident was a state or municipal government worker, make sure to tell law enforcement and your attorney immediately. This is because most agencies have strong record-keeping requirements for vehicle damage and, even if the defendant driver did not record it, most agencies regularly inspect their vehicles for damage. This means that the defendant driver is not always the only person using or inspecting the vehicle. There may be agency documents which demonstrate the damage to the vehicle that can corroborate your claim.
Immediately, do not wait. Hit and run cases are very difficult to begin with. Although you have four years to commence an action for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident, you need to immediately advise your insurance carrier of a hit and run to start an investigation. Never delay a hit and run accident.
While you may need to hire a private investigator, hire an attorney first. This is because a hit and run attorney may be able to do the investigation for you and save you money in the process. If a hit and run case is proving to be exceptionally difficult, a hit and run lawyer may hire a trusted private investigator. But it is always best to rely on an experienced attorney’s advice on how to proceed after a hit and run accident.