Fire can cause catastrophic damage to a home or business. Even minor fire damage could render a house uninhabitable. Possessions in a house or business that sustained fire damage are likely permanently destroyed, especially clothing, bedding, carpets, and other objects. There are many causes of fires in homes or businesses, including electrical shortages, appliance malfunctions, or simple mistakes with cooking. Most homeowners insurance policies cover damage for fire and smoke. However, given the nature of the loss, most insurance companies will make filing a fire and smoke claim very difficult. Insurance companies will blame your negligence for the fire and underpay your claim.
At Schlacter Law, we understand the emotional and financial magnitude of a fire loss. We will not let insurance companies get away from their obligations by blaming you for the fire loss. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients against insurance companies. We offer a FREE consultation, and, if we accept your case, we may hire experts to help prove the damage done to your house or business. There is no risk to ask for our help because we only get paid when we recover compensation for you. Call our award-winning law firm by dialing (305) 999-1111 or fill out a free case evaluation to discover what our fire damage claim lawyer at Schlacter Law can do for you.
Why are Fire Damage Claims Denied or Underpaid?
Most insurance policies cover fire damage and smoke damage. However, most insurance companies train their adjusters on how to limit the scope of this type of loss by shifting blame or by decreasing the value of a property. Some of the common reasons why fire loss claims are denied or underpaid include the following:
- Claiming preexisting damage
- Failure to investigate
- Claiming the roof, bathroom, kitchen, or other parts of the house were old and needed to be upgraded
- Lack of support for claims
- Allegations of arson or intentional damage
- Alleged violations of the insurance policy
- Too long to file a claim
- Homeowner negligence
- Other unreasonable claims
Get Schlacter Law to Support Your Fire Damage Claim
Fire damage is devastating and likely to cause serious personal injuries or the wrongful death of innocent people. When we are lucky to escape a fire, we should not be unlucky to have to additionally deal with an aggressive insurance company improperly denying your claims. Call our fire damage lawyer at Schlacter Law for a FREE consultation to learn what your case may be worth and how we can start protecting your rights to compensation today.
How We Handle Cases
- Your attorney will aggressively investigate your claim. Schlacter Law will compile all necessary evidence needed to maximize the value of your claim. Schlacter Law will also retain on your behalf experts to evaluate the scope of your claim. In other words, the experts will be retained to determine the cost of all of your necessary repairs. These experts may include but not be limited to professional adjusters, engineers, roofers, plumbers and general contractors.
- You will remain in constant contact with Schlacter Law about the progression of your claim.
- Your attorney will present your case to the insurance company and will attempt to resolve your case before the case goes to court for maximum compensation.
- Your attorney will make every effort possible to resolve the case as quickly as possible for the most amount of money you may be entitled to. You will be actively involved in the negotiation process with your attorney. Schlacter Law understands that this is your one opportunity to get justice for your loss.
- If settlement negotiations are unsuccessful, Schlacter Law will be fully prepared to bring your case to court to fight for the justice you deserve.
- Schlacter Law will hire any experts and professionals needed to maximize your recovery and present your case in the strongest form possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
As soon as you can do so. The longer that you wait with a fire loss claim, the more expenses you will suffer from having to relocate which an insurance company may deny. Most insurance policies require you to give notice of damage within days of the claim. It is imperative that as soon as any damage occurs, you should immediately contact your insurance company to open a claim. Never delay in any claim, especially a fire damage claim where damages are significant.
It depends on what policy and coverage that you have. Generally, fire damage and, often, smoke damage are covered in a homeowner’s policy. Victims of a fire may be able to recover compensation for repairs, loss of their house, loss of personal property, business interruption if to their business, and expenses for alternative living arrangements in a hotel or motel.
Florida law provides that an attorney may get paid if he is successful in court by verdict or settlement. In other words, the insurance company will pay the legal fees when the claim resolves. This is not like public adjusters that charge a percentage of your benefits. You may keep more if benefits if you hire a lawyer instead of a Public Adjuster.